Brendan P. Glackin
Promoting Fair Competition in Technology Markets
A dedicated antitrust and securities fraud litigator, Brendan P. Glackin possesses a wealth of litigation and trial experience.
Brendan's successful cases at Lieff Cabraser include, most recently, the High-Tech Employees class action alleging that major Silicon Valley firms colluded to reduce competition for workers. Brendan successfully argued for certification of a class of over 64,000 employees of seven different companies; after vigorous litigation the High-Tech team recovered a total of $435 million, the largest recovery ever in an employee class action against private employers.
In 2013, Brendan represented direct purchasers of titanium dioxide in a nationwide antitrust class action lawsuit. The complaint alleged that defendants coordinated increases in the prices for titanium dioxide despite declining demand, decreasing raw material costs, and industry overcapacity. After litigating the case to within days of trial, the class reached a series of settlements totaling $163.5 million.
Brendan also played a significant role in litigation against a cartel of the world's leading liquid crystal display (LCD) manufacturers. Over the course of the litigation, the direct purchaser class reached settlements with all defendants except Toshiba. The case against Toshiba proceeded to trial. Brendan, working under Co-Lead Counsel Richard Heimann, put on all expert testimony for the plaintiffs, examined numerous other witnesses, and argued motions in limine and jury instructions. In July 2012, the jury found Toshiba liable. The case was subsequently settled, bringing the total direct purchaser settlements in the LCDs antitrust litigation to over $470 million.
In 2011, Brendan was one of the trial counsel for distributors and retailers in an antitrust class action against Abbott Laboratories charging that the company quintupled the price of Norvir, a crucial AIDS "booster" drug, in order to force patients to reject superior competing drugs in favor of Abbott's combination therapy, Kaletra. After opening statements and the presentation of four witnesses and evidence to the jury, plaintiffs and Abbott Laboratories entered into a $52 million settlement.
Brendan presently serves on the Lieff Cabraser team representing The Charles Schwab Corporation in a suit against the world's major banks for allegedly manipulating the London Interbank Offered Rate (LIBOR), which is used as a global reference rate by financial institutions. Glackin also serves on the Lieff Cabraser team representing the indirect purchaser class in the lithium-ion batteries price-fixing case.
Brendan is a frequent speaker on antitrust law and complex class actions. He also teaches trial advocacy through the National Institute for Trial Advocacy (NITA). As a Deputy Public Defender in Contra Costa County, Brendan took more than twenty felony and misdemeanor cases to trial.
Areas of Practice
- Antitrust & Intellectual Property
- Securities & Investor Fraud
- Harvard Law School, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- J.D. (Cum Laude) - 1998
- University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois
- A.B. - 1995
- California, 1998
- New York, 2000
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit, 2013
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 2004
- U.S. District Court Central District of California, 2001
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California, 2001
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California, 2001
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California, 2001
- U.S. District Court District of Colorado, 2001
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 2001
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Bar Association of San Francisco Antitrust Section, Executive Committee
- State Bar of California
- Antitrust Trials: The View From the Trenches, 2013
- Applying Settlements Offsets to Antiftust Judgments, ABA Spring Meetings, 2013
- California Trial Advocacy, PLI, 2013
- Building Trial Skills, NITA, 2013
- Antitrust Institute 2011: Develpoments & Hot Topics
- Ramifications of American Needle, Inc. v. National Football League
Honors and Awards
- "Super Lawyer for Northern California," Super Lawyers, 2013 - 2014
Past Employment Positions
- Contra Costa Public Defender, 2005 - 2007
- Boies, Schiller & Flexner, 2000 - 2005
- Willkie Farr & Gallagher, 1999 - 2000
- Honorable William B. Shubb, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California, Law Clerk, 1998 - 1999