Brendan P. Glackin
Promoting Fair Competition in Technology Markets
A dedicated antitrust and securities fraud litigator, Brendan P. Glackin possesses a wealth of litigation and trial experience from his time as a Deputy Public Defender, an associate at Boies, Schiller & Flexner for five years, and now as a partner at Lieff Cabraser. As a Deputy Public Defender in Contra Costa County, California, Brendan represented clients in over twenty felony and misdemeanor jury trials. At Boies Schiller, Brendan represented both plaintiffs and defendants in high-stakes, complex antitrust and securities cases.
Brendan’s successful cases at Lieff Cabraser include representing direct purchasers of titanium dioxide in a nationwide antitrust class action lawsuit. The complaint alleged that defendants coordinated increases in the prices for titanium dioxide despite declining demand, decreasing raw material costs, and industry overcapacity. The Court approved a series of settlements with defendants in December of 2013 totalling $163.5 million.
Brendan also played a significant role in litigation against the world’s leading LCDs manufacturers for conspiring to fix prices by representing direct purchasers of direct purchasers of flat-panel TV screens and other products incorporating liquid crystal displays (LCDs).
Over the course of the litigation, the classes reached settlements with all defendants except Toshiba. The case against Toshiba proceeded to trial.
Brendan, working under Co-Lead Counsel Richard Heimann, put on all expert testimony for the plaintiffs, examined numerous other witnesses, and argued motions in limine and jury instructions. In July 2012, the jury found Toshiba liable. The case was subsequently settled, bringing the total settlements in the LCDs antitrust litigation to over $470 million.
In 2011, Brendan was one of the principal trial counsel for retailers in an antitrust class action against Abbott Laboratories charging that the company quintupled the price of Norvir, a crucial AIDS “booster” drug, in order to force patients to reject superior competing drugs in favor of Abbott’s combination therapy, Kaletra. After opening statements and the presentation of four witnesses and evidence to the jury, plaintiffs and Abbott Laboratories entered into a $52 million settlement.
Brendan presently serves on the Lieff Cabraser team representing The Charles Schwab Corporation in a suit against the world’s major banks for allegedly manipulating the London Interbank Offered Rate (LIBOR), which is used as a global reference rate by financial institutions. Glackin also represents employees in the high-tech workers class action alleging that major Silicon Valley firms colluded to reduce competition for workers.
A member of the Executive Committee of the Antitrust Section of The Bar Association of San Francisco, Brendan is also a frequent speaker on antitrust law and complex class actions.
He also teaches trial advocacy through NITA.
Areas of Practice
- Antitrust & Intellectual Property
- Securities & Investor Fraud
- Harvard Law School, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- J.D. (Cum Laude) - 1998
- University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois
- A.B. - 1995
- California, 1998
- New York, 2000
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit, 2013
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 2004
- U.S. District Court Central District of California, 2001
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California, 2001
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California, 2001
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California, 2001
- U.S. District Court District of Colorado, 2001
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 2001
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Bar Association of San Francisco Antitrust Section, Executive Committee
- State Bar of California
- Antitrust Trials: The View From the Trenches, 2013
- Applying Settlements Offsets to Antiftust Judgments, ABA Spring Meetings, 2013
- California Trial Advocacy, PLI, 2013
- Building Trial Skills, NITA, 2013
- Antitrust Institute 2011: Develpoments & Hot Topics
- Ramifications of American Needle, Inc. v. National Football League
Honors and Awards
- "Super Lawyer for Northern California," Super Lawyers, 2013 - 2014
Past Employment Positions
- Contra Costa Public Defender, 2005 - 2007
- Boies, Schiller & Flexner, 2000 - 2005
- Willkie Farr & Gallagher, 1999 - 2000
- Honorable William B. Shubb, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California, Law Clerk, 1998 - 1999