Todd A. Walburg
Obtaining Justice for the Injured
Chair of the Auto and Transportation Cases section of Lieff Cabraser's Torts Practice Group, Todd A. Walburg focuses much of his practice on personal injury and products liability litigation involving serious injuries and wrongful death.
Todd is currently involved in several trials against Big Tobacco in Florida for injuries and fatalities caused by cigarettes. He also represents plaintiffs across the United States in litigation against Takata for defective airbags, GM for faulty ignition systems, and Toyota for sudden unintended acceleration accidents. In the Toyota and GM cases in federal court, Todd works closely with Co-Lead Counsel Elizabeth J. Cabraser, and in state court, Todd was appointed to the Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee for the Toyota Unintended Acceleration JCCP by the Honorable Lee Smalley Edmon of the Los Angeles Superior Court.
Todd was previously involved in litigation against Yamaha Motor Corporation relating to multiple Rhino ATV rollover cases. He is an original member of the Tire Safety Group, a nationwide network of preeminent attorneys who handle product liability cases against tire manufacturers and dealers. Todd brings to bear his considerable experience with a variety of automotive defect cases, focusing on vehicle crashworthiness, tire failure defects, fuel tank fires, rollovers, and seatbelt failures.
Todd has also represented victims of defective medical devices and pharmaceutical drugs, such as Guidant implantable defibrillators and pacemakers, Medtronic heart leads, Ortho-McNeil contraceptive patches, Baycol, Vioxx, and Fen-Phen. In addition, Todd was a key member of the litigation team in the groundbreaking University of Phoenix whistleblower case, which was resolved for $78.5 million.
Todd has served on the San Francisco Trial Lawyers Association Board of Directors since 2013, and has been an Alameda-Contra Costa Trial Lawyers Association Board of Governors member since 2012. In 1998, he was the national winner of the Leesfield/Association of Trial Lawyers of America scholarship. Todd has also been a legal services volunteer for the Bar Association of San Francisco’s Eviction Defense Project since 2012.
Todd is the author of "Powerful Mediation Briefs" in The Verdict (ACCTLA 2006). He was also the keynote speaker in presentations entitled "Products Liability Strategies before Trial" (SFTLA 2008), "Toyota Unintended Acceleration Litigation" (CAOC Annual Convention 2011), "Burn Injury Cases" (SFTLA/CAOC 2012), "Cutting Edge Damages" (SFTLA/CAOC 2013; with NJP Litigation Consulting), and "Comparing and Contrasting the GM Litigation and the Toyota Litigation" (AAJ 2014). In addition, Super Lawyers named Todd a 2014 "Super Lawyer for Northern California," and a "Rising Star for Northern California," from 2010-2013.
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury
- Defective Products
- Consumer Protection
- University of San Francisco School of Law, San Francisco, California
- J.D. - 1999
- University of California, Los Angeles, California
- B.A. - 1995
- California, 2001
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 2001
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California, 2001
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California, 2006
- U.S. District Court Central District of California, 2006
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California, 2006
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Alameda-Contra Costa Trial Lawyers Association (Board of Governors 2012 - Present, 2003 - 2005)
- American Association for Justice (Attorneys Information Exchange Group; Motor Vehicle Collision, Highway and Premises Liability Section; Products Liability Section; Section on Toxic, Environmental, and Pharmaceutical Torts)
- Bar Association of San Francisco (Pro Bono Trial Attorney; Eviction Defense Project; Volunteer Legal Services)
- Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles
- Consumer Attorneys of California
- The Melvin M. Belli Society
- San Francisco Trial Lawyers Association (Co-Chair, Membership Committee; Board of Directors, 2013 - Present; Experts Committee, 2012; Education Committee, 2005 - 2007, 2012; Carlene Caldwell Scholarship Committee, 2005 - 2007)
- State Bar of California
- Western Trial Lawyers Association
- "Cutting Edge Damges," SFTLA/COAC Webinar with NJP Litigaton Consulting, February 2013
- "Burn Injury Cases," SFTLA/CAOC Webinar, December 2012
- "Toyota Unintended Acceleration Litigation," CAOC Annual Convention, November 2011
- "Product Liability Strategies Before Trial," SFTLA Roundtable, October 2008
- "Powerful Mediation Briefs" in The Verdict, ACCTLA, 2006
Honors and Awards
- Appointed to the Board of Governors of the Alameda-Contra Costa Trial Lawyers Association, 2012 - Present, 2003 - 2005
- "Super Lawyer for Northern California," Super Lawyers, 2014
- "Rising Star for Northern California," Super Lawyers, 2010 - 2013
- Leesfield / Association of Trial Lawyers of America Scholarship, National Winner, 1998
Past Employment Positions
- Emison Hullverson Bonagofsky, LLP, Partner, 2007 - 2008
- Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein, LLP, Associate, 2005 - 2007
- Bennett, Johnson & Galler, Associate, 2001 - 2005
Pro Bono Activities
- Eviction Defense Project, Volunteer Legal Services Program of the Bar Association of San Francisco (2012 - Present)