Todd A. Walburg
Obtaining Justice for the Injured
Todd A. Walburg is a partner in our San Francisco office who focuses much of his practice on personal injury and products liability litigation involving serious injuries and wrongful death. Todd is also the Auto and Transportation Cases Chair in the firm’s Torts Practice Group.
Over the past two decades, Todd has worked on virtually every type of injury case (burn injuries, orthopedic injuries, spine injuries, head injuries, neck and back injuries, broken bones and fractures, limb crush injuries, and emotional injuries, including childhood sexual abuse). Todd has represented plaintiffs in cases involving automobile collisions, rollovers, fires, dangerous highways and roadways, medical malpractice, assault and battery, pedestrian accidents, bike and motorcycle accidents, car and heavy truck accidents, ATV accidents, boating accidents, premises liability incidents, construction site accidents, factory accidents and many other types of cases.
Todd is currently involved in several trials against Big Tobacco in Florida for the injuries and fatalities caused by cigarettes. He is also currently investigating complaints against GM for faulty ignition switches. Todd represents numerous victims of Toyota sudden unintended acceleration incidents across the United States. Todd was appointed to the Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee for the Toyota Unintended Acceleration JCCP by the Honorable Lee Smalley Edmon of the Los Angeles Superior Court. In the Toyota cases in federal court, Todd works closely with Co-Lead Counsel Elizabeth J. Cabraser.
Todd was previously involved in litigation against Yamaha Motor Corporation in multiple Rhino ATV rollover cases. He has handled a variety of automotive defect cases, with an emphasis on vehicle crashworthiness, tire failure defects, fuel tank fires, rollovers, and seatbelt failures. Todd is also one of the original members of the Tire Safety Group, a nationwide network of preeminent attorneys who handle product liability cases against tire manufacturers and dealers.
Todd has also represented victims of defective medical devices and pharmaceutical drugs, such as Guidant implantable defibrillators and pacemakers, Medtronic heart leads, Ortho-McNeil contraceptive patches, Baycol, Vioxx, and Fen-Phen. In addition, Todd was a key member of the litigation team in the groundbreaking University of Phoenix whistleblower case, which was resolved for $78.5 million.
Todd has been working on personal injury and products liability cases since 1992, when he started out as a file clerk and investigator for a prominent Oakland, California trial lawyer. Thereafter, Todd received the 1998 Leesfield/Association of Trial Lawyers of America scholarship.
Todd is the author of “Powerful Mediation Briefs” in The Verdict (ACCTLA 2006). He was also the keynote speaker in presentations entitled “Products Liability Strategies before Trial” (SFTLA 2008), "Toyota Unintended Acceleration Litigation" (CAOC Annual Convention 2011), “Burn Injury Cases” (SFTLA/CAOC 2012), and Cutting Edge Damages (SFTLA/CAOC 2013; with NJP Litigation Consulting). In addition, Todd was named a "Rising Star for Northern California" by Super Lawyers in 2010, 2011 and 2012, a distinction awarded to less than 2.5% of California attorneys.
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury
- Defective Products
- Consumer Protection
- University of San Francisco School of Law, San Francisco, California
- J.D. - 1999
- University of California, Los Angeles, California
- B.A. - 1995
- California, 2001
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 2001
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California, 2001
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California, 2006
- U.S. District Court Central District of California, 2006
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California, 2006
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Alameda-Contra Costa Trial Lawyers Association (Board of Governors, 2003 - 2005, 2012 - 2013)
- American Association for Justice (Attorneys Information Exchange Group; Burn Injury Litigation Group; Motor Vehicle Collision, Highway and Premises Liability Section; Products Liability Section; Section on Toxic, Environmental, and Pharmaceutical Torts; Spinal Cord Injury Litigation Group)
- American Bar Association (Tort, Trial, and Insurance Practice Section)
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- Bar Association of San Francisco (Pro Bono Trial Attorney; Eviction Defense Project; Volunteer Legal Services)
- Consumer Attorneys of California
- Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles
- The Melvin M. Belli Society
- Public Justice
- San Francisco Trial Lawyers Association (Board of Directors, 2013 - present; Experts Committee, 2012; Education Committee, 2005 - 2007, 2012; Carlene Caldwell Scholarship Committee, 2005 - 2007)
- Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) International
- State Bar of California
- Western Trial Lawyers Association
- "Cutting Edge Damges," SFTLA/COAC Webinar with NJP Litigaton Consulting, February 2013
- "Burn Injury Cases," SFTLA/CAOC Webinar, December 2012
- "Toyota Unintended Acceleration Litigation," CAOC Annual Convention, November 2011
- "Product Liability Strategies Before Trial," SFTLA Roundtable, October 2008
- "Powerful Mediation Briefs" in The Verdict, ACCTLA, 2006
Honors and Awards
- "Super Lawyer for Northern California," Super Lawyers, 2014
- "Rising Star for Northern California," Super Lawyers, 2010 - 2013
- Elected to the Board of Directors of the San Francisco Trial Lawyers Association, 2013 - Present
- Appointed to the Board of Governors of the Alameda-Contra Costa Trial Lawyers Association, 2012 - Present
- Leesfield / Association of Trial Lawyers of America Scholarship, National Winner, 1998
Past Employment Positions
- Emison Hullverson Bonagofsky, LLP, Partner, 2007 - 2008
- Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein, LLP, Associate, 2005 - 2007
- Bennett, Johnson & Galler, Associate, 2001 - 2005
Pro Bono Activities
- Eviction Defense Project, Volunteer Legal Services Program of the Bar Association of San Francisco (2012 - Present)