“There are so many ways in which people in our society compete with one another and seek an advantage over one another. To me, justice is about making sure that the playing field is as level as possible.”
Jonathan D. Selbin
"One of the nation's premier plaintiffs' firms."
"Representing the best qualities of the plaintiffs' bar."
The National Law Journal
"Their effective and caring advocacy for clients has earned Lieff Cabraser its first-class reputation."
The Daily Journal
A Determined Advocate For Consumers And Homeowners
Jonathan heads Lieff Cabraser's economic injury product defect practice group, representing plaintiffs in consumer protection and defective product cases. He has played a lead role in cases that have resulted in settlements with a combined total recovery for consumers and homeowners of over $2 billion in cash, as well as the extension of warranties and other relief.
Jonathan possesses extensive trial and appellate court experience. He has served as court-appointed sole or co-lead counsel in dozens of state and federal cases over the last 18 years, and was lead trial counsel in a three-month class action jury trial in 2006. Jonathan has successfully argued in the U.S. Courts of Appeal for the Fifth, Sixth, and Ninth Circuits, as well as dozens of federal district courts and state trial courts.
Commenting on the work of Jonathan and our firm in 2009, U.S. District Court Judge William H. Alsup stated:
Jonathan serves as court-appointed sole lead counsel in In re: Whirlpool Corp. Front-Loading Washer Products Liability Litigation, MDL No. 2001 (N.D. Ohio). He serves as court-appointed co-lead counsel in In re: Imprelis Herbicide Marketing Sales Practices and Product Liability Litigation, MDL No. 2281 (E.D. Pa.), and interim co-lead counsel in In re Capital One Telephone Consumer Protection Act Litigation, MDL No. 2416 (E.D. Ill.). He also served as court-appointed co-lead counsel in In re: Mercedes-Benz Tele Aid Contract Litigation, MDL No. 1914 (D.N.J.).
Jonathan is a contributing author to California Class Actions Practice and Procedures (Elizabeth J. Cabraser, Editor-in-Chief, 2003).
Awards & Honors
- Best Lawyers in America, based on peer and blue ribbon panel review, selected for list of "New York Metro's Best Lawyers," 2013
- "New York Super Lawyer," Super Lawyers, 2006-present
- "Lawdragon Finalist," Lawdragon, 2009
- Law Clerk to Judge Marilyn Hall Patel, U.S. District Court, Northern District of California, 1993-1995
Publications & Presentations
- Contributing Author, "Ninth Circuit Reshapes California Consumer-Protection Law," American Bar Association (July 2012)
- Contributing Author, California Class Actions Practice and Procedures (Elizabeth J. Cabraser, Editor-in-Chief, 2003)
- "Bashers Beware: The Continuing Constitutionality of Hate Crimes Statutes After R.A.V.," 72 Oregon Law Review 157 (Spring, 1993)