Jonathan D. Selbin
One Of The Nation's Leading Lawyers For Consumers And Homeowners
The chair of Lieff Cabraser’s Economic Injury Product Defect Practice Group and member of the firm’s Executive Committee, Jonathan D. Selbin litigates consumer protection and defective products class action lawsuits against many of the nation's most prominent corporations.
Jonathan argued and obtained a favorable appellate opinion in the Sixth Circuit in In re Whirlpool Corp. Front-Loading Washer Products Liab. Litig., 678 F.3d 409 (6th Cir. 2012), vacated sub nom., Whirlpool Corp. v. Glazer, 133 S. Ct. 1722 (2013), reinstated Glazer v. Whirlpool Corp. (In re Whirlpool Corp. Front-Loading Washer Prods. Liab. Litig.), 722 F.3d 838 (6th Cir. 2013), cert. den., 2014 U.S. LEXIS 1484 (2014), and obtained a favorable opinion as appellate counsel in the Seventh Circuit in Butler v. Sears, 702 F.3d 359 (7th Cir. 2012), vacated, Sears, Roebuck & Co. v. Butler, 133 S. Ct. 2768 (2013), reinstated, Butler v. Sears, Roebuck & Co., 727 F.3d 796 (7th Cir. 2013), cert. den. 2014 U.S. LEXIS 1507 (2014). He also argued and obtained favorable appellate rulings in the Fifth Circuit in McManus v. Fleetwood Enters., 320 F.3d 545 (5th Cir. 2003), and in the Ninth Circuit in Omstead v. Dell, Inc., 594 F.3d 1081 (9th Cir. 2010).
Jonathan currently serves as Court-appointed lead counsel in In re: Whirlpool Corp. Front-Loading Washer Litig., MDL No. 2001 (N.D. Ohio); Court-appointed interim co-lead counsel in In re: Capital One TCPA Litig., MDL No. 2416 (N.D. Ill.); Court-appointed interim lead counsel in Smith v. State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company, Case No. 13-cv-2018 (N.D. Ill.); and Court-appointed interim lead counsel in In Re: Navistar Maxxforce Engines Marketing, Sales Practices and Products Liability Litigation, Case MDL No. 2590 (N.D. Ill.). He previously served as Court-appointed co-lead counsel in In re: Imprelis Herbicide Litig., MDL No. 2281 (E.D. Pa.), which resulted in a nationwide settlement of property damage claims in an amount of almost $575 million, and as Court-appointed co-lead counsel in In re: Mercedes-Benz Tele Aid Contract Litig., MDL No. 1914 (D.N.J), where he obtained certification of a nationwide consumer protection litigation class, and twice successfully defended it in the Third Circuit.
With Professor Samuel Issacharoff, Jonathan was the primary author of the certiorari opposition papers in the Whirlpool and Sears cases in the United States Supreme Court, which ultimately resulted in a denial of certiorari.
Together, cases in which Jonathan has played a lead role have resulted in court-approved class action settlements with a combined total recovery for class members exceeding $2.5 billion in cash, plus other relief, such as extended and enhanced warranties.
Jonathan is a 1993 magna cum laude graduate of Harvard Law School. He clerked for Honorable Marilyn Hall Patel in the Northern District of California from 1993-1995 prior to joining Lieff Cabraser.
Service in the Community
Jonathan is a founder and member of the Board of Directors of NY Silver Sluggers, a 501(c)(3) non-profit that promotes diverse youth baseball teams in New York City, including children of different races, ethnicities, religions, genders, and socio-economic backgrounds, and provides funding to cover fees and expenses related to participation in baseball programs, teams and leagues for those unable to afford it.
Areas of Practice
- Consumer Protection
- Defective Products
- Harvard Law School, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- J.D. (Magna Cum Laude) - 1993
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- B.A. (Summa Cum Laude) - 1989
- California, 1994
- District of Columbia
- New York, 2001
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2013
- U.S. Court of Appeals 10th Circuit, 2014
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Alliance for Justice, New York Advisory Board
- American Association for Justice
- American Bar Association
- Bar of the District of Columbia
- New York State Bar Association
- New York State Trial Lawyers Association
- State Bar of California
- Contributing Author, “Ninth Circuit Reshapes California Consumer-Protection Law,” American Bar Association, July 2012
- On Class Actions, 2009
- Contributing Author, California Class Actions Practice and Procedures (Elizabeth J. Cabraser, editor-in-chief), 2003
- “Bashers Beware: The Continuing Constitutionality of Hate Crimes Statutes After R.A.V.,” 72 Oregon Law Review 157, Spring 1993
Honors and Awards
- "New York Litigation Star," Benchmark Litigation, 2013 - 2015
- "Product Liability Litigation - Plaintiffs," Best Lawyers, 2013 - 2015
- "Super Lawyer for New York Metro," Super Lawyers, 2006 - 2014
- "Lawdragon Finalist," Lawdragon, 2009
Past Employment Positions
- Judge Marilyn Hall Patel, U.S. District Court, Northern District of California, Law Clerk, 1993 - 1995