Lexi J. Hazam
A Lawyer with Global Experience
Lexi represents hip replacement patients in the DePuy ASR, DePuy Pinnacle metal-on-metal, and Stryker Rejuvenate hip implant injury lawsuits, representing over 300 clients and working with leading regulatory experts. Lexi has been appointed by the court overseeing the nationwide Benicar MDL litigation to the Plaintiffs' Steering Committee, and serves as Co-Chair of the MDL Plaintiffs' Science and Experts Committee. She has also spoken at several conferences on Benicar injuries and Benicar lawsuits.
Lexi has spoken at two conferences for plaintiffs’ counsel on the DePuy litigation. She has also spoken on mass torts topics at the Women En Mass conference for women in mass torts, the annual CAOC conference, and the California Lawyer's Product Liability Roundtable.
Lexi’s qui tam cases include the $21.7 million settlement of litigation against Avaya, Lucent Technologies, and AT&T for charging governmental agencies for the lease of communications systems they no longer possessed and/or were no longer maintained by defendants. She worked on the Office Depot qui tam litigation, a lawsuit alleging that Office Depot knowingly overcharged California cities, counties, and school districts on office and school supplies purchased under U.S. Communities contracts, that settled in 2015 for $68.5 million. Lexi has also worked on several additional qui tam cases alleging Medicare fraud. Lexi has been a speaker on the California Lawyer's False Claims Act Roundtable.
Lexi previously represented hemophiliacs worldwide, or their survivors and estates, who contracted HIV and/or Hepatitis C from contaminated blood factor products in America. A confidential settlement was reached in 2009. Lexi played a key role in litigating the case and in negotiating and administering a settlement of the claims of 1,600 clients in 15 countries, utilizing her multilingual skills in working with co-counsel on several continents. The blood factor litigation constitutes one of the only, if not the only, case in which major U.S. pharmaceutical companies entered a settlement with plaintiffs worldwide. Lexi also has significant experience representing the families of victims in major international aviation disasters, including the crash of Gol Airlines Flight 1907 in Brazil in 2006.
Lexi’s class action practice includes representing nursing home patients of Evergreen and Kindred facilities who received deficient care due to understaffing. A settlement in the Evergreen case includes an injunction requiring adequate staffing for several years, without any release of claims by the class. Combined with related cases against other leading nursing home facilities, the litigation is helping to create a new standard for the staffing of nursing homes in California.
In 2015, Lexi was selected for the AAJ Leadership Academy, and was also selected for the Sedona Conference Working Group 1 Drafting Team for the Primer on Tehcnology-Assisted Review. Lexi has also served on the Court Funding and Litigation Challenge Group Task Force of the Bar Association of San Francisco and the Diversity Committee of the San Francisco Trial Lawyers Association.
Areas of Practice
- False Claims Act
- Aviation Accidents
- Personal Injury
- University of California at Berkeley, Boalt Hall School of Law, Berkeley, California
- J.D. - 2001
- Law Review: California Law Review, Articles Editor
- Law Journal: La Raza Law Journal, Articles Editor
- Stanford University, Stanford, California
- B.A. - 1995
- Stanford University, Stanford, California
- M.A. - 1996
- California, 2003
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit, 2008
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 2006
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit, 2008
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California, 2003
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California, 2013
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Association for Justice
- Bar Association of San Francisco (Court Funding and Litigation Challenge Group Task Force)
- Consumer Attorneys of California
- San Francisco Trial Lawyers Association (Diversity Committee)
- State Bar of California
- "Technology-Assisted Review," Sedona Conference Working Group 1 Drafting Team, 2015
Honors and Awards
- "California Future Star," Benchmark Litigation, 2015
- "Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions - Plaintiffs," Best Lawyers, 2015
- Legal 500 recommended lawyer, LegalEase, 2013
- "Rising Star for Northern California," Super Lawyers, 2009 - 2011, 2013
Past Employment Positions
- Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund, Law Clerk, 1999
- Judge Henry H. Kennedy, Jr., U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, Law Clerk, 2001 - 2002
- Lieff Cabraser, Heimann & Bernstein, LLP, Associate, 2002 - 2006
- Lieff Global LLP, Partner, 2006 - 2008