Your Champion for Justice
Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein, LLP is a sixty-five attorney law firm with offices in San Francisco, New York, Nashville, and Seattle. We are among the largest law firms in the United States that only represent plaintiffs.
A strong, principled sense of social responsibility drives us. We are committed to achieving justice for investors, consumers, employees, patients, and business owners; promoting safer products and fair competition; protecting our environment; assisting individuals blow the whistle on fraud; safeguarding the rights of patent and copyright holders; ensuring our right to privacy is preserved; and upholding the civil rights of citizens worldwide.
An outstanding track record
Since our founding in 1972, Lieff Cabraser has litigated and resolved hundreds of class action lawsuits and thousands of individual cases. We have played a significant role in achieving verdicts and settlements valued at $100 million or greater in 66 separate cases, including 25 cases in excess of $1 billion. Many of these cases are among the most significant civil cases in the United States over the past quarter century, including:
- the Attorney General litigation against the tobacco industry in which our clients received $42 billion in settlements;
- the litigation against European banks and businesses to recover assets taken from Holocaust victims and survivors;
- bringing employment practices at Walmart, the world’s third largest corporation, into compliance with the law;
- the righting of an injustice against immigrant workers, known as braceros, dating back to World War II;
- the third largest settlement ever in a stock options back dating lawsuit (Broadcom);
- obtaining a $54.4 million verdict against an auto manufacturer for failing to cure a known defect in millions of its vehicles that led to the death of a husband and father of four children (Mraz v. DaimlerChrysler);
- a landmark $1.5 billion settlement with natural gas providers for manipulating energy prices during the California energy crisis in 2000-2001; and
- an award of $203 million against Wells Fargo Bank for manipulating the processing of customer debit card purchases to maximize overdraft fees.
A national reputation for excellence
Our attorneys are recognized as some of the most qualified and skilled professionals in their fields. They are routinely appointed by federal and state courts to serve as leaders in national litigation. Many of our attorneys are directors and officers of local, state, and national bar organizations.
The National Law Journal has recognized Lieff Cabraser as one of the nation’s top plaintiffs’ law firms for fourteen years. In compiling the list, the National Law Journal examines recent verdicts and settlements and looked for firms “representing the best qualities of the plaintiffs’ bar and that demonstrated unusual dedication and creativity.”
Best Lawyers and U.S. News have named Lieff Cabraser as a “Law Firm of the Year” each year the publications have given this award to law firms. For 2011, 2012, 2014, and 2015, we were recognized in the category of Mass Torts Litigation/Class Actions – Plaintiffs. For 2013, the publications selected our firm as the nation’s premier plaintiffs’ law firm in the category of Employment Law – Individuals. For 2016, we have been again recognized in the category of Mass Torts Litigation/Class Actions – Plaintiffs, our fifth time achieving this disctinction. Only one law firm in any given practice area receives the “Law Firm of the Year” award.
In 2016, Law360 selected Lieff Cabraser as one of the Top 50 law firms nationwide for litigation. This “Litigation Powerhouse” distinction was further extended to include our firm as the first among five elite “Small But Mighty” litigation heavyweights with fewer than 200 attorneys, victorious in case after case “against some of the largest and strongest defense law firms in the world.” The publication separately noted that our firm “persists as a formidable agency of change, producing world class legal work against some of the most powerful corporate players in the world today.”
The resources necessary to succeed in complex litigation
We possess the sophisticated legal skills, financial resources, investigative talent, and administrative support to take on the world’s most powerful corporations. We take great pride in our innovative approach to the practice of law and our firm’s leadership role in cases resulting in landmark decisions and precedent-setting rulings.
A commitment to the community
Lieff Cabraser proudly supports civil rights, human rights, increased access to legal services, and initiatives and organizations working to improve civil justice, increase diversity in the legal profession, and assist the underserved in the communities we serve. We provided free legal services to seven victims of the 9/11 attacks in hearings before the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund and obtained awards totaling over $5 million.