Your Champion for Justice
Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein, LLP is a ninety-plus attorney law firm with offices in San Francisco, New York, and Nashville. We are among the largest law firms in the United States that only represent plaintiffs.
We are driven by a strong and principled sense of social responsibility. We are committed to achieving justice for investors, consumers, employees, patients, and business owners; promoting safer products and fair competition; protecting our environment; assisting individuals blow the whistle on fraud; safeguarding the rights of patent and copyright holders; ensuring our right to privacy is preserved; and upholding the civil rights of citizens worldwide.
An outstanding track record
Since our founding 45 years ago in 1972, Lieff Cabraser has litigated and resolved hundreds of class action lawsuits and thousands of individual cases. We have played a significant role in achieving verdicts and settlements valued at $100 million or greater in 68 separate cases, including 26 cases in excess of $1 billion. Many of these cases are among the most significant civil cases in the United States over the past quarter century, including:
- historic litigation against Volkswagen over its “Clean Diesel” emissions fraud affecting over 475,000 vehicles in the U.S. that resulted in settlements valued at over $15 billion;
- the Attorney General litigation against the tobacco industry in which our clients received $42 billion in settlements;
- the litigation against European banks and businesses to recover assets taken from Holocaust victims and survivors;
- bringing employment practices at Walmart, the world’s third largest corporation, into compliance with the law;
- the righting of an injustice against immigrant workers, known as Braceros, dating back to World War II;
- the third largest settlement ever in a stock options back dating lawsuit (Broadcom);
- obtaining a $54.4 million verdict against an auto manufacturer for failing to cure a known defect in millions of its vehicles that led to the death of a husband and father of four children (Mraz v. DaimlerChrysler);
- a landmark $1.5 billion settlement with natural gas providers for manipulating energy prices during the California energy crisis in 2000-2001; and
- an award of $203 million against Wells Fargo Bank for manipulating the processing of customer debit card purchases to maximize overdraft fees.
A national reputation for excellence
Our attorneys are recognized as some of the most qualified and skilled professionals in their fields. They are routinely appointed by federal and state courts to serve as leaders in national litigation. Many of our attorneys are directors and officers of local, state, and national bar organizations.
The National Law Journal has recognized Lieff Cabraser as one of the nation’s top plaintiffs’ law firms for fourteen years. In compiling the list, the National Law Journal examines recent verdicts and settlements and looked for firms “representing the best qualities of the plaintiffs’ bar and that demonstrated unusual dedication and creativity.”
In 2016, Law360 selected Lieff Cabraser as one of the Top 50 law firms nationwide for litigation. This list included firms over twenty times our size, and Law360 highlighted Lieff Cabraser’s “laser focus,” noting that our firm routinely finds itself “facing off against some of the largest and strongest defense law firms in the world.” Also in 2016, Benchmark Litigation named Lieff Cabraser as one of the “Top 10 Plaintiffs’ Firms in America.”
The resources necessary to succeed in complex litigation
We possess the sophisticated legal skills, financial resources, investigative talent, and administrative support to take on the world’s most powerful corporations. We take great pride in our innovative approach to the practice of law and our firm’s leadership role in cases resulting in landmark decisions and precedent-setting rulings.
A commitment to the community
Lieff Cabraser proudly supports civil rights, human rights, increased access to legal services, and initiatives and organizations working to improve civil justice, increase diversity in the legal profession, and assist the underserved in the communities we serve. We provided free legal services to seven victims of the 9/11 attacks in hearings before the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund and obtained awards totaling over $5 million.