Brendan P. Glackin chairs the firm’s antitrust practice group and supports the firm’s antitrust cases. He has practiced antitrust law for nearly two decades and has tried more than 20 civil and criminal cases. His successes include the titanium dioxide antitrust class action ($163.5 million in settlements); the liquid crystal displays (LCDs) price-fixing litigation ($470 million in settlements); and the Norvir antitrust litigation. Mr. Glackin served as trial counsel in all three cases and, via LCDs, remains one of small number of plaintiff attorneys in America to have successfully taken a class action antitrust case to verdict before a jury. His work against price-fixing cartels has continued in his representation of a class of indirect purchasers in the Lithium Ion Batteries price-fixing litigation.
Mr. Glackin leads Lieff Cabraser’s work in the federal class action against Deutsche Telekom, T-Mobile, and Softbank Group challenging the merger of T-Mobile and Sprint, a merger that reduced the overall number of mobile carriers in the U.S. from four to three and thereby removed all meaningful incentives for competition between the three remaining behemoths: the new T-Mobile, AT&T, and Verizon. The lawsuit seeks the restoration of competition in one of the world’s largest and most concentrated markets.
Mr. Glackin serves on special assignment as lead trial counsel to a coalition of 40 states and U.S. jurisdictions prosecuting Google for anticompetitive dominance of Android app distribution. He works in that matter as a Special Assistant Attorney General for the State of Utah.
Mr. Glackin also has contributed groundbreaking work in litigation against drug makers for blocking access to affordable generics including the blockbuster brand-name prescription drug Cipro ($399 million in settlements), which led to a 2016 “California Lawyer Attorney of the Year” (CLAY) award. He also serves as lead counsel for Nashville General Hospital and District Council 37 in a class-action antitrust case against Sandoz and Momenta Pharmaceuticals for monopolizing enoxaparin, the generic version of the blockbuster anti-coagulant Lovenox.
Mr. Glackin also shared with others at the firm a well-deserved 2019 “Outstanding Antitrust Litigation Achievement in Private Law Practice” award from the American Antitrust Institute for his work on Seaman v. Duke, a class action case around wage suppression, challenging a secret no-hire agreement between the Duke and UNC Medical School Deans which led to a final settlement of $54.5 million in 2019. Cipro Cases I and II, JCCP Nos. 4154 and 4220 (Cal. Supr. Ct.); Seaman v. Duke University, No. 1:15-cv-00462 (M.D. N.C.).
In 2019, 2020 and 2021, Mr. Glackin was named one of Lawdragon’s 500 Leading Lawyers in America and The Daily Journal named him a Top Antitrust Lawyer in California in 2020. He has also been listed as a “Super Lawyer for Northern California” from 2013 to 2021.
Mr. Glackin’s many contributions to the bar and the practice of law include the following. He has regularly been tapped to teach trial advocacy and negotiation skills by the Practising Law Institute (PLI); he is also annually invited to teach trial advocacy with the National Institute for Trial Advocacy (NITA). He serves as a Vice-Chair of the American Bar Association Section of Antitrust Law, Global Private Litigation Committee, and was a founding member of the Executive Committee of the Antitrust Section of the Bar Association of San Francisco. He has been a past panelist at the ABA Antitrust Section Spring Meeting, the pre-eminent gathering of antitrust lawyers in the world. He routinely speaks, publishes, and teaches on antitrust issues.
Long form bio (click to open pdf).
- Harvard Law School, Cambridge, Massachusetts
J.D. (Cum Laude) – 1998
- University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois
A.B. – 1995
- California, 1998
- New York, 2000
- United States Supreme Court, 2013
- North Carolina Supreme Court, 2017
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit, 2013
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 4th Circuit, 2016
- U.S. Court Of Appeals, 6th Circuit, 2019
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit, 2004
- U.S. Court of Appeals, North Carolina, 2017
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California, 2001
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California, 2001
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California, 2001
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California, 2001
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, 2001
- American Bar Association, Vice-Chair, Global Private Litigation Committee (2020)
- Bar Association of San Francisco Antitrust Section, Executive Committee
- State Bar of California
- Moderator, “Collective Actions in Europe: An Update,” ABA Antitrust Law Section, 2021
- “The Antitrust of Dominant Hospital Systems: United States v. CMHA and UFCW v. Sutter Health,” ABA Antitrust Law Section, 2020
- Antitrust and Silicon Valley: New Themes and Direction in Competition Law and Policy, Santa Clara University School of Law, 2019
- Antitrust Trials: The View From the Trenches, 2013
- Applying Settlements Offsets to Antitrust Judgments, ABA Spring Meetings, 2013
- California Trial Advocacy, PLI, 2013
- Building Trial Skills, NITA, 2013
- Antitrust Institute: Developments & Hot Topics, 2011
- Ramifications of American Needle, Inc. v. National Football League
- Selected for inclusion by peers in The Best Lawyers in America in field of “Litigation – Antitrust,” 2021-2023
- “Lawdragon 500 Leading Lawyers in America,” Lawdragon, 2023
- “Lawdragon 500 Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyers in America,” Lawdragon, 2019-2022
- “Super Lawyer for Northern California,” Super Lawyers, 2013-2022
- “Titan of the Plaintiffs Bar,” Law360, 2021
- “Plaintiffs’ Lawyer Trailblazer,” National Law Journal, 2021
- “Outstanding Private Practice Antitrust Achievement,” American Antitrust Institute, 2019, 2020
- “Top Antitrust Lawyers in California,” Daily Journal, 2020
- “California Lawyer Attorney of the Year (CLAY) Award,” California Lawyer, 2016
- January 13, 2023
Seven Lieff Cabraser Partners Named to 2023 “Lawdragon 500 Leading Lawyers in America”
- November 8, 2022
34 Lieff Cabraser Lawyers Named to 2023 Best Lawyers Listings
- July 8, 2022
Twenty-Two Lieff Cabraser Attorneys Recognized as Lawdragon “500 Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyers” for 2022
- July 6, 2022
26 Lieff Cabraser Attorneys Selected as 2022 Northern California Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- August 23, 2021
31 Lieff Cabraser Lawyers Named to 2022 Best Lawyers Listings