Roger N. Heller
Partner, San Francisco Office
The Chair of Lieff Cabraser’s Consumer Protection practice group, Roger N. Heller is an accomplished consumer protection attorney as demonstrated by his substantial contributions to the litigation that ended deceptive business practices affecting millions of bank and credit cardholders nationwide.
Roger represented Bank of America customers who charged that Bank of America systematically re-sequenced customer debit card transactions — from the “largest to the smallest” transaction — for the sole purpose of maximizing its overdraft fee revenue in violation of the bank’s contractual and good faith duties and California’s Unfair Competition Law. In 2010, Roger played a key role on the trial team that successfully prosecuted similar claims against Wells Fargo in Gutierrez v. Wells Fargo Bank, resulting in a $203 million verdict against the bank.
The case was subsequently consolidated with other lawsuits against the bank and the nation’s other leading banks in multi-district litigation in Miami, Florida. Roger served on Lieff Cabraser’s team, which played an integral role in prosecuting the case against BofA. In November 2011, the Court approved a $410 million settlement.
The settlement with BofA was the largest consumer settlement in the U.S. in 2011, and constitutes one the largest settlements in a consumer class action ever. For his work in the BofA litigation, Roger was named a finalist for the 2012 Consumer Attorney of the Year award by Consumer Attorneys of California.
Another highlight of Roger’s consumer practice was the class action lawsuit against Chase Bank for allegedly violating the implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing by unilaterally modifying the terms of fixed rate loans. The nationwide class, which the Court certified in May 2011, consisted of more than 1 million Chase cardholders who, in 2008 and 2009, had their monthly minimum payment requirements unilaterally increased by Chase by more than 150%. In November 2012, the Court approved a $100 million settlement of the case.
Long form bio (click to open pdf).
- Columbia Law School, New York, New York
J.D. – 2001
Law Review: Columbia Law Review, Senior Editor
- Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia
B.A. – 1997
- California, 2001
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit, 2017
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit, 2010
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California, 2011
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California, 2017
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California, 2001
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado, 2015
- American Bar Association
- Bar Association of San Francisco
- Consumer Attorneys of California
- State Bar of California
- Santa Venetia Community Plan (Advisory Committee)
- “Fighting for Troops on the Homefront,” TRIAL Magazine, September 2006
- “Lawdragon 500 Leading Plaintiff Consumer Lawyers in America,” Lawdragon, 2023
- “Super Lawyer for Northern California,” Super Lawyers, 2013-2022
- National Consumer Law Center, “Rising Star Award,” 2015
- “Rising Star,” Law 360, 2014, 2015
- Consumer Attorneys of California, “Finalist for Consumer Attorney of the Year,” 2012, 2013
- “Rising Star for Northern California,” Super Lawyers, 2011-2012
- “Trial Lawyer of the Year Finalist,” Public Justice, 2012
- “Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar,” 1998-2001
- February 24, 2023
27 Lieff Cabraser Attorneys Recognized as Lawdragon “500 Leading Plaintiff Consumer Lawyers” for 2023
- July 6, 2022
26 Lieff Cabraser Attorneys Selected as 2022 Northern California Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- July 7, 2021
27 Lieff Cabraser Attorneys Selected as 2021 Northern California Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- August 12, 2020
25 Lieff Cabraser Attorneys Selected as 2020 Northern California Super Lawyers and Rising Stars