Sean A. Petterson is a partner in Lieff Cabraser’s New York office. He is a member of the firm’s securities, consumer practice, and cybersecurity/data privacy practice groups where he has represented shareholders and consumers in a number of high-profile actions. These include representing shareholders in a derivative lawsuit against Wells Fargo that settled for $240 million and corporate governance reforms, and ongoing data breach and TCPA class actions on behalf of consumers.
Prior to joining Lieff Cabraser, Sean was an associate at Boies Schiller Flexner, LLP from 2015-2018, where he also spent the summer of 2014 as a summer associate. Previously, while in law school at NYU, he was a civil litigation extern in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York and participated in a clinic with the New York Civil Liberties Union.
Sean graduated from New York University School of Law with a Juris Doctor, where he was a Robert McKay scholar and a Senior Quorum Editor for the Journal of Legislation and Public Policy. Sean also graduated summa cum laude from Brandeis University with a B.A. in both History and American Studies.
Long form bio (click to open pdf).
- New York University School of Law, New York, NY
Senior Quorum Editor, Journal of Legislation and Public Policy
Robert McKay Scholar
- Brandeis University, Waltham, MA
B.A., Summa Cum Laude, History and American Studies – 2011
- New York, 2016
- U.S. Court Of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 2022
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit, 2018
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois, 2022
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 2018
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York, 2017
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, 2017
- “Ones to Watch,” Best Lawyers, 2021-2023
- “Rising Star for New York Metro Area,” Super Lawyers, 2021, 2022
- January 1, 2023
Lieff Cabraser Names New Partners for 2023
- November 8, 2022
34 Lieff Cabraser Lawyers Named to 2023 Best Lawyers Listings
- September 29, 2022
16 Lieff Cabraser Attorneys Selected as 2022 New York Metro Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- August 23, 2021
31 Lieff Cabraser Lawyers Named to 2022 Best Lawyers Listings
- August 20, 2020
Thirty Lieff Cabraser Lawyers Named to 2021 Best Lawyers Listings