Health Organizations Warn More Children Are Swallowing Dangerous Toy Magnets

Buckyballs toy magnets

As reported by The Washington Post, the number of children ingesting rare-earth magnets — often made into desktop toys — has skyrocketed in the last three years. When ingested, these tiny magnets are capable of shredding a child’s intestines as they are often 10 times stronger than ordinary magnets. As The Post notes, “if multiple rare-earth magnets — each the size of a BB pellet — are swallowed, they can pull together inside the intestines, potentially causing life-threatening holes and blockages that most often require emergency surgery.” [Read more…]