As alleged in a new lawsuit filed by Lieff Cabraser on behalf of parents who purchased Evenflo’s Big Kid Booster car seats, Evenflo has known since 2012 or earlier that its Big Kid Booster Seat is not safe for children weighing less than forty pounds. The booster seat also does not appreciably reduce the risk of serious injury or death from side-impacts or collisions. NBC-TV Nashville featured a report on the new lawsuit, including an interview with Lieff Cabraser partner Mark P. Chalos, lead attorney on the case. [Read more…]
Lawsuit alleges Evenflo’s “Big Kid Booster” car seats were aggressively marketed and sold throughout the U.S. as safe and tested even though the company’s own internal tests showed they provided little to no side-impact protection
February 21, 2020, New York—(Businesswire)—The national plaintiffs’ law firm of Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein, LLP, along with Kozonis & Klinger, Ltd. and Andrus Wagstaff, PC, announce the filing of a federal fraud and deceptive marketing class action lawsuit in the District of Massachusetts on behalf of a class of plaintiffs who purchased Evenflo’s Big Kid Booster car seats. The complaint alleges that the widely and aggressively marketed seats are unsuitable and unsafe for smaller children and do not significantly reduce accident injury risks. The lawsuit seeks to put an end to Evenflo’s improper marketing and sales tactics that put profits above the safety of American children. [Read more…]
As reported by The Washington Post, the number of children ingesting rare-earth magnets — often made into desktop toys — has skyrocketed in the last three years. When ingested, these tiny magnets are capable of shredding a child’s intestines as they are often 10 times stronger than ordinary magnets. As The Post notes, “if multiple rare-earth magnets — each the size of a BB pellet — are swallowed, they can pull together inside the intestines, potentially causing life-threatening holes and blockages that most often require emergency surgery.” [Read more…]
Recent equipment failures in California and Ohio destroyed thousands of eggs, embryos
As reported by the Washington Post, Ohio state senator Joe Schiavoni is pressing for legislation intended to improve standards and operational security at fertility clinics that store human eggs and embryos for future use. Coming in the wake of failures at clinics in California and Ohio that led to the destruction of thousands of preserved eggs and embryos, the measure includes express penalties for clinics found to violate the new safeguards. Preliminary data from an investigation into March 2018 Cleveland clinic failures indicates the large-scale egg and embryo loss was largely preventable; health authorities in Ohio noted that the facility had previously reported recordkeeping deficiencies as well as insufficient communication mechanisms for potential preservation tank problems. [Read more…]
SAN FRANCISCO—(BUSINESSWIRE)—On April 17, 2018, Lieff Cabraser filed a Class Action Complaint in federal court in San Francisco on behalf of women who stored their frozen eggs and embryos against Pacific Fertility Center and Prelude Fertility, Inc., alleging, among other things, negligence, negligent infliction of emotional distress, breach of contract, conversion, violation of unfair competition law, and premises liability relating to defendants’ March 2018 mishandling of preserved eggs and embryos at their San Francisco cryogenic facility. [Read more…]
A recent study indicate that babies born near active coal plants display shorter telomeres — sections of DNA that act as caps at the end of chromosomes — resulting in measurably higher health risks. As reported by Environmental Health News, “the study is the first to show toxics from coal burning may spur shorter telomeres in newborns and adds to a massive body of evidence that closing down plants gives babies a greater chance at a healthy life. Shorter telomeres are linked with a host of health problems, including cancer, heart disease, brain decline, aging and premature death.” [Read more…]
A recent study published in the journal Birth Defects Research has discovered that common cleaning products used in homes, hotels, and hospitals may lead to birth defects. The study was conducted on mice, and revealed that the animals didn’t even need to have direct contact with the chemicals. Just being in the same room as the disinfectants led to increased birth defect rates. [Read more…]
Major retailer Target is recalling more than half a million Easter toys due to risks that children can eat the toys, which ingestion can cause intestinal obstructions, severe discomfort, vomiting, dehydration, and can even be life-threatening. A “Fast Track Recall” was issued by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission on Wednesday for 560,000 water-absorbent Hatch and Grow Easter Eggs, Easter Grow Toys and Hatch Your Own Dino that are sold at Target for a dollar each. [Read more…]
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has issued a warning of the potential health risks to infants and children of certain homeopathic teething remedies. The ongoing FDA investigation involves homeopathic teething tablets and gels sold at large chain pharmacies and other retail stores that are used to treat teething pain. At least 10 infant deaths have been linked to these remedies, in addition to reports from the parents of more than 400 children who have developed serious illnesses. [Read more…]
Major toymakers have been accused of permitting third-party vendors, including marketing and advertising companies, to track the online activities of children on their websites. Viacom Inc.; Mattel Inc., Hasbro Inc.; and JumpStart Games Inc. have been charged with violating the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA). These toymakers will pay a combined fine of $835,000 for their wrongdoing. [Read more…]
A study by various pediatric clinics located in New York, Atlanta, and California has discovered that the majority of parents unknowingly provide their children with the wrong dosage of liquid medication. This is occurring in part because despite pediatric medicines including a measuring tool with related instructions, often the units on the label – milliliters, mL, teaspoon, tsp., tablespoon – differ from what’s on the tools themselves. [Read more…]
As reported by the Washington Post and other local media, the presence of potentially fatal Pseudomonas bacteria in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) at Prince George’s County Hospital Center was uncovered in the wake of the deaths of two infants. While the facts relating to the cause of those deaths are unclear, the hospital has closed the NICU and is relocating the remaining patients. [Read more…]
Swedish retailer Ikea is recalling 29 million chests and dressers in the United States and Canada after the death of six children linked to a severe furniture tip-over hazard when the pieces are not properly secured. All of the children killed were 3 years old or younger. [Read more…]
Britax has announced a recall relating to a safety defect in certain infant car seat models. The defect exists within the carry handle on the seats, and parents with Britax infant seats are urged to visit Britax’s infant car seat repair kit web page to check if they own an affected model, and if so to obtain a remedy kit as soon as possible.
An estimated 1.6 to 3.8 million sports-related concussions take place every year across the nation, as reported by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Among the different sports and recreational activities, football gets primary focus when it comes to the risk of players receiving this kind of head trauma. However, sports-related concussions are not just experienced by professional players.
Swedish home furnishings company IKEA launched a repair program for 27 million furniture chests and dressers in July after two American toddlers died last year when IKEA furniture pieces fell on top of them, known as tip-over accidents.
Laundry pods are colorful and look like enticing toys, candy, or a dessert, deceptively luring unsuspecting children and mentally infirm to put them into their mouths. Biting and swallowing any of the highly concentrated detergent packets, however, can cause serious, life-threatening injuries.