In Re: Oil Spill by the Oil Rig “Deepwater Horizon” in the Gulf of Mexico
Lieff Cabraser and co-counsel represent property owners, business owners, wage earners, and other harmed parties in class action litigation against BP, Transocean, Halliburton, and other defendants for the Deepwater Horizon oil rig explosion and resulting oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico on April 20, 2010. Elizabeth J. Cabraser serves on the Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee (PSC) that is spearheading the litigation in federal court before U.S. District Judge Carl Barbier.
BP Lawsuit, BP Oil Spill Lawsuit, BP Spill Class Action
In 2014, the Deepwater Horizon Litigation continued to make progress in providing economic and medical relief to hundreds of thousands of individuals and businesses in the Gulf Coast area whose lives and livelihoods were impacted by the 2010 oil spill. The Supreme Court denied review of BP’s challenge to its own class action settlement. Approval of that settlement is now final, and as of early 2018 has delivered over $11.2 billion to compensate claimants’ losses. The medical settlement is also final, and an additional $1 billion settlement has been reached with defendant Halliburton.
Court Orders and Rulings
Operative Master Complaints
- Ferguson v. BP, PLC (Alabama Class Action)
- Sea Eagle Fisheries, Inc., et al. v. BP, PLC, et al. (Alabama Class Action)
- Smiling Fish Café, Inc. v. BP, PLC, et al. (Florida Class Action)
- Le Discount Seafood, Inc., et al. v. BP, PLC, et al. (Florida Class Action)
- Gallo, et al. v. BP, PLC (Louisiana Class Action)
- T&D Fishery, LLC, et al. v. BP, PLC (Louisiana Class Action)
- Cajun Maid, LLC v. BP, PLC (Mississippi Class Action)
- Simcox, et al. v. BP, PLC (Tennessee Class Action)
You can also visit the official settlement website.