BP Gulf Oil Spill
In Re: Oil Spill by the Oil Rig “Deepwater Horizon” in the Gulf of Mexico
Lieff Cabraser and co-counsel represent property owners, business owners, wage earners, and other harmed parties in class action litigation against BP, Transocean, Halliburton, and other defendants for the Deepwater Horizon oil rig explosion and resulting oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico on April 20, 2010. Elizabeth J. Cabraser serves on the Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee (PSC) that is spearheading the litigation in federal court before U.S. District Judge Carl Barbier.
BP Lawsuit, BP Oil Spill Lawsuit, BP Spill Class Action
In 2014, the Deepwater Horizon Litigation continued to make progress in providing economic and medical relief to hundreds of thousands of individuals and businesses in the Gulf Coast area whose lives and livelihoods were impacted by the 2010 oil spill. The Supreme Court denied review of BP’s challenge to its own class action settlement. Approval of that settlement is now final, and as of early 2018 has delivered over $11.2 billion to compensate claimants’ losses. The medical settlement is also final, and an additional $1 billion settlement has been reached with defendant Halliburton.
Court Orders and Rulings
- Order and Judgment Granting Final Approval of the Economic and Property Damages Settlement Agreement
- Order and Reasons Granting Final Approval of the Economic and Property Damages Settlement Agreement
- Order Regarding Settlement Implementation
- Preliminary Approval Order
- First Amended Order Creating Transition Process
- Order Adjourning Commencement of Trial
- Order and Reasons re BP-S Motion to Dismiss The B1 Master Complaint
- Order and Reasons re BP-s Motion To Dismiss The B2 Master Complaint
- Order and Reasons re BP-s Motion To Dismiss The B3 Master Complaint
- Order and Reasons re BP’s Motion to Dismiss The D1 Master Complaint
Operative Master Complaints
- Ferguson v. BP, PLC (Alabama Class Action)
- Sea Eagle Fisheries, Inc., et al. v. BP, PLC, et al. (Alabama Class Action)
- Smiling Fish Café, Inc. v. BP, PLC, et al. (Florida Class Action)
- Le Discount Seafood, Inc., et al. v. BP, PLC, et al. (Florida Class Action)
- Gallo, et al. v. BP, PLC (Louisiana Class Action)
- T&D Fishery, LLC, et al. v. BP, PLC (Louisiana Class Action)
- Cajun Maid, LLC v. BP, PLC (Mississippi Class Action)
- Simcox, et al. v. BP, PLC (Tennessee Class Action)
You can also visit the official settlement website.
Civil Litigation News
Lieff Cabraser Announces Historic $235M Comprehensive Settlement with Altria in National JUUL Youth E-Cigarette Predatory Advertising, Addiction and Injury Cases
Unprecedented in scope, speed, and significance, the global settlement, reached just after plaintiffs concluded their case in the bellwether trial in San
Avery Halfon Named to Law360’s 2023 Consumer Protection Editorial Advisory Board
Law360 has selected Lieff Cabraser attorney Avery Halfon to serve as one of the lawyers on its 2023 Consumer Protection Editorial Advisory board.
Ex-JUUL COO Claims He Was Fired For Sharing Concerns About JUUL Targeting Teen Users
As reported by Law360 in its ongoing coverage of the JUUL multidistrict injury and predatory/fraudulent advertising litigation against Altria (formerly Philip Morris), extraordinary